Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie, sort of...

Last night I threw together a chicken pot pie. When I was making my menu for this week I checked out the fridge and noticed a larger than average amount of leftover chicken. I though, well, why not. Chicken pot pie isn't too hard and can be made very easily. I love the smell of it cooking in the oven!!

To make mine I put together a thawed package of mixed veggies, a small can of mushrooms that I drained, a can of cream of chicken soup and really wanted to add some onions, but am out of them (how that happened I don't know!!!!). I also added a pinch of salt, pepper and some sage to the mixture.


I bought a package of pie shells at the store this weekend and put one of the shells into the bottom of a pie pan. I then baked it according to the directions on the box.

While the pie shell was baking I pulled out the chicken and started cutting. Yes, the chicken had seasonings on them from the previous dinners, but that really just added some extra flavor to the pie. I then mixed the chicken in with the rest of the mixture and waited.

Once the shell was done, I poured the entire mixture into the pie pan, covered it with the top shell and crimped the edges.



Then I cut a few slits in the top and put it in the oven. I baked it for about 45 minutes (until the top shell was golden brown) and served hot. The kids wanted cheese on theirs and we had some grapes to help round out the meal.


I was excited it turned out well. Maybe I should trust my culinary skills (or lack thereof) more often and try something new!!

No comments:

Post a Comment