Tuesday, October 2, 2012

School picture drama or why I wish our school had uniforms

It's that time of year again.  School pictures.  I haven't had a bad experience with school pictures yet.  Never a re-take, never a bad picture.

This year may be different though.  Most of this is Mom craziness, but hopefully you'll get it.

Let's start with Ren.  He had his pictures last Friday and they were easy peasy.  I went into his dresser, pulled out a shirt with a collar and ask him if he liked it.  Of course he said "sure Mommy" and that was the end of it.  I did sign him into school about 5 minutes late, but that was for hair reasons.  He wants to grow his hair out from the usual high and tight he wears.  Therefore, to get it to lay down it requires gel.  Which he has yet to master.  It is quite cute to watch him fix his hair each day.  On others he just lets it stick up at every direction.  Having a boy is so much fun.

CS, well, her very first picture day is next week.  I am really excited about this.  I know, it's corny, but still exciting.  With her, she is getting a new shirt to wear.  Why you ask?  It's easy.  95% of her clothes are hand me downs.  Okay for everyday but not cool for pictures.  The shirt she wants to wear is the exact same one her sister wore for her preschool picture.  She likes it because it has purple hearts on it.  The shirt is pink though.  She's not really happy with the shirt color.  Her favorite color is purple, so I'm taking her shopping on Friday to pick out her picture day shirt.  I'm hoping to find something purple and not gaudy.  This could get hard since she's 4 and most little kid clothes are splattered with designs and what not.  Wish me luck!

This brings us to A.  She has to look 'just so' this year.  I'm going to assume that second grade brings on a whole new realm of this.  Last year it was laying out something cute and then pulling some of her hair up with a hair clip.  Not this year.  I ironed 3 different shirts for her.  Laid out matching accessories for each shirt.  I even went so far as to pick out shoes to match each shirt, you know, because shoes are always shown in school pictures {rolling eyes}.

What happens?  She gets up and decides that she wants to wear a sweater with a tank top underneath.  Both the sweater and tank were brown.  The background for her pictures is brown.  I casually mentioned that particular outfit may be too much brown and she gets angry.  Move on to the pink plaid shirt.  Oh, she likes it, but she always wears pink for her pictures and wants to 'change it up' this year.  Truly, I'm exhausted and I just wrote that.  Ha!

Finally, her decision was to wear a really cute green shirt with off white polka dots.  Accessories for hair were nixed.  Her cute necklace?  That's gone too. (I tried to take a picture to post on here, but the batteries on my camera are d-e-a-d.  Guess who's heading to the store later today?)

Don't get me wrong, I spent a good portion of my morning with the curling iron in hand making sure her hair was laying 'perfect Mommy'.  I don't want her to feel badly about her school pictures, so I curled the ends under and gave her a bit of a wave in the front.

She left the house looking exactly as she wanted to.  I stayed in the house and now need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment