Friday, August 29, 2008

"Sunshine on cloudy day Mommy"




I have a love affair with the Temptations, the Motown group. I can sing you almost any song they have ever sung. Well, I guess you could say I have a slight love affair with a lot of the early Motown music makers. They were awesome! The beat was good, the lyrics good, the entire music selection was great!

Sooooo, Being that I'm not a great lullabye person, I began to sing the kids motown and disney hits as their respective lullabyes. For Peanut, from the time she was tiny, I would sing "twinkle, twinkle little star" and "My Girl". Now, at the age of 3, when she goes to bed I tuck her in. As part of her bedtime ritual, she get all snuggled up and then proceeds to throw off all of the covers and roll onto her stomach. After this little ritual is complete, it is usually followed by a "mommy, will you scratch my back and sing twinkle stars and sunshine on cloudy day?" I, most nights, lay down next to her and sing the song...even with my limited ability. It's so cute that after singing it for 3 years she knows every word to the song. I have tried to change the lyrics and she will always say "no mommy, it's .......". I'm just thrilled that my little Peanut loves the song...she even gets mad when the Skyline Chili commercial comes on and changes the words.

Cubby, on the other hand, has been sung "Baby Mine" from Dumbo and "My Guy". Yes, I do change the words a little. I usually try to add his name into the songs just to see if he listens. The oddest thing happened the other day though. He ask me to sing "sunshine on cloudy day" too. I never knew that while I was singing to his sister, that he heard me and loved it too. I typically tuck Sweet Pea in bed, the Peanut (since they share a room) and then move onto Cubs. Now, Cubby has a talent that I find fascinating for a 2 year old. If you sing him a song, he can repeat it. He may not get all the words right (he is only 2 and just gained his hearing 5 months ago), but he tries. All these last few months he's heard me sing to the girls and had been listening. He now knows the words for "my Girl" and requests that I sing that to him instead of his usual songs. I did change the lyrics from "my Girl" to "my guy" just for him and he sings it that way.

I just think it's so cute that all of my kids love that song. The link at the top will connect you to the VH1 movie version of the Temptations...funny thing about that too. I showed that video to Peanut and now after I get done singing the actual song, she will roll over and quote "temptations forever"......she thinks that's part of the song...lol.

Here are the actual lyrics. If you take out the word me in the chorus and insert the word mommy you've pretty much got my version (oh, and I usually change the last my girl into the kids name...)

Courtesy of Lyrics dot com

I got sunshine,
On a cloudy day.
When it's cold outside,
I've got the month of may.
I guess you'd say,
What can make me feel this way?

[Chorus]
My girl, my girl, my girl.
Talkin' 'bout my girl.
My girl!

I've got so much honey,
The bees envy me.
I've got a sweeter song,
Than the birds in the trees.
Well, I guess you'd say,
What can make me feel this way?

[Chorus]
Ooo-ooo, hoo-ooo.

I don't need no money,
Fortune or fame.
I got all the riches baby,
One man can claim.
Well, I guess you'd say,
What can make me feel this way?


[Chorus]

I got sunshine on a cloudy day with my girl.
I've even got the month of may with my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment