Friday, June 19, 2009

Insomnia nightmare

posted by Kandi

In my never ending (recent) quest to lose a few pounds, I have turned to my doctor for some medicinal help. Oh, I have tried to lose a few pounds here and there, but to be honest, I really haven't cared that much. Sure, I would adore looking like Heidi Klum, but is that right for my body type, probably not.

I have been at or around the same weight for about 6 years or so. This is not including the three back to back pregnancies I endured. Each time though, I bounced right back to the before baby weight in a matter or months. I credit breastfeeding, but that may or may not be true.

This is until the last 6 or so months. I have suddenly put on 17 pounds!!! Yikes!! How did that happen? Well, for starters my family doc and Ob/Gyn thought that it might be beneficial to put me onto an anti-depressant for several months after my youngest was weaned. Why you might ask? Well, let's just say after being knocked up or nursing since May of 2004, my hormones were a little out of whack. Yes, you did read that last statement correctly. At the time, I felt like I had lost my marbles and gladly took the prescription and ran to the pharmacy. It was during this time I started eating, A LOT!!!! I mean, more than my hubby was and that man can pack the food away!!!!

I figured I had gained a few pounds, but was shocked when I went to the docs office and the grand total was 17!! I almost started crying. Instead, I made a decision to really try and lose some weight. I began a small workout routine. I say small because after doing nothing for several years I was NOT going to kill myself. I want to lose weight but not THAT badly. I also started using my mad coupon skillz to purchase better food choices for us as a family. {Hey, I'm not doing this alone even if it has to be forced!} I thought maybe I had lost at least a pound when I went in to have myself weighed, but oh no...instead I had GAINED another pound! Ouch, talk about a blow to my self confidence. It was then I decided to ask about a diet drug, any would do really. I saw my family doc and we weighed the options out there and she wrote me a prescription. I gladly filled it and now have severe cotton mouth and insomnia. I do sleep, just not for very long. About 1 to 3 hours at the most. I wake up full of energy and roaring to go too. The thing is, I want to sleep! There is nothing to do in the middle of the night. I can't do a lot of cleaning, it will wake the kids and hubby. TV? nope, I'm not big that. Computer? Well, my laptop and I have become better acquainted. I stay up and read blogs, do puzzles, whatever to try to make myself tired, but alas, it doesn't work.

So, how do you cure insomnia? Any ideas? Help me out here people...I love me some sleep and this is just crazy!!!


DisclaimerI thought I'd add that this is in no way endorsing using medication to lose weight. It's just the option I chose and am seeing my regular doctor bi-weekly and a dietician to help me out. It's more of a health issue than a vanity issue at this point.

1 comment:

  1. Try to take it earlier in the day. I noticed that if I took it past a certain time I would be up all night. Also try taking a hot bath and drink a cup of decaf hot tea or some warm milk...All else fails drink a glass of wine and take a tylenol PM.

    ReplyDelete