Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tuna Salad Casserole Recipe

I will add a picture here as soon as I make it.

This is what I call Tuna Salad Casserole. It's not your typical tuna dish though. It's kind of a cross between tuna salad and tuna casserole. Here is my one hang up though....I have misplaced the actual recipe. When we moved, I threw out tons of stuff, and I just have a feeling it was in something I threw out. It was written on an old piece of pharmacy message paper since I worked in a pharmacy for 5+ years and the recipe came from a fellow "legal drug distributor" (aka pharmacist). I've made it so many times that I think I can wing it. Just know that the measurements may be a little off. I tend not to measure things anyway...that just makes more dishes to wash and nobody likes that do we??

Tuna Salad Casserole
recipe given to me by Christian (I don't remember her last name, she was a fill-in pharmacist).

1 can of tuna (drained)
2 cups of plain stuffing (you know the stuff from the store in the bags...LOL)
I have also used croutons in a pinch....
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (whatever you like with tuna, we use cheddar)divided
a little prepared mustard
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 hard boiled egg, sliced
1/4 of a large onion, diced
1 to 2 tsp of pickle relish
salt and pepper to taste

Mix tuna, mustard, celery, egg, onion and relish in a 2 qt. casserole dish. Fold in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired. Add the stuffing to the top of the tuna and sprinkle the top with remaining cheese.

Put into the oven at 350 for about 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese is melted. The stuffing holds up well and gives the "mushy" stuff a little crunch. I personally have added things like peas, green beans and mushrooms to it for the added veggie value. It's a simple recipe and easily changed. It is something that is super easy to throw together on those nights when you're rushed or don't have anything planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment