Monday, December 20, 2010

Oh Betty...

This week, Andrea and I are going to share some of our favorite cooking, recipe and kitchen stories.  I figured I would start my part with my go to cooking advisor...Betty Crocker.  Honest.  I know she's not a real person, but I have consulted her (via website or numerous books I own, more on my cook book collection in another post) more often than not. 

I have several Betty books that I adore.  My favorite has been used so many times that the pages are beginning to wrinkle.  It has various ink marks from A when she was little and decided to color it.  I have notes letting me know whether the item was something my family loved, liked or try again in 5 years (ha!).  Which of Betty's enormous catalog is this?  Well, none other than the Betty Crocker Cooky Book! 

 

I have the reproduction of this book.  I got it as a wedding gift from my Grammy.  It may seem old fashioned for her to have gotten me this book, but know that I tried repeatedly to steal her original without much success. 

Our family has several recipes directly from this book that have become holiday traditions.  I know if you own a Betty book, several of these are in them.  If you don't own a Betty (and please don't tell me if you don't), check the website www.bettycrocker.com .  Since I'm kind of a list person, here is a small list of the cookies that are holiday traditions in my family. 

  • Chocolate Crinkles

  • Snickerdoodles

  • Spritz

  • Ethel's Sugar Cookies

  • Filled Cookies (I do the Filled Cooky Turnovers variation)

  • Scotch Shortbread

  • Candy Cane Cookies

  • Various refrigerator cookies (vanilla and chocolate)


So, while I wasn't intending on this being a screaming endorsement for all things Betty Crocker, she is the one person I trust most when it comes to kitchen consultations.  I really do adore my Cooky Book.  I read it all the time marking new recipes to try.   If you get a chance to glance at this book, do it!  I promise you won't be let down!

No comments:

Post a Comment