Monday, August 8, 2011

My new balancing act

I have a friend from high school that is the most organized person I've ever met!  Especially when it comes to her kids schedules.  She has 4 children ranging in age from 14 to 2.  Exception to the 2 year old, all of her kids are in numerous activities and extracurriculars.  I've always watched and listened from afar to her lament about having to take this on e to practice and then pick this one up from another practice somewhere else, only to turn around and go pick up the first one.  Then home for dinner, baths, homework, family time and bed.  This woman does it all!  I've always commented that one day I may get a taste of what that's like and she just giggles.  She follows that statement up with "it will happen sooner than you think".  Well, it's happening.  Now to be exact.

This is the first year we have 2 kids in sports, both are playing soccer.  That is fine, really it is.  I'm quite thankful they both chose the same sport.  The problem lies in that they both practice on the same day, 1/2 hour apart at different parks within our city.  One is age 6, the other 5, so leaving someone at practice by themselves isn't optional.  Argh!  See the dilemma?   Chuck and I think we've figured it out, but what about the nights one of us has something else to do?  Then it gets complicated quickly.

Now soccer practice is only one of the newest things to appear on my schedule this fall.  The other is Tuesday School, story time, and preschool nature walks.  All of those involve CS only.  She and I will be busy this fall!  Thankfully, all of these things happen while the older two are in school.  A bit of reprieve for Mom!  Yay!

Oh and let's not forget therapy.  Thankfully though, that is on the same day, same time, bi-weekly.  This makes my life a bit easier.

My old routine is definitely going to be updated soon!  My head is still reeling from all the new additions (and I don't have game schedules yet...yikes!).  I will be sitting down next week to hammer out the new days for cleaning, laundry and other normal activities.  I'm also adding a day of bulk cooking in there because I don't think a busy schedule is an excuse for dinner out.  Bulk cooking should help with this!  Although, I think I'm going to have to return to my college days for all of this by making a spreadsheet and blocking out times for certain activities.  Then again, maybe everything will just fall into place and work out on its own.  Oh, who am I kidding?!?!

Is your schedule looking crazy this fall?  If so, how do you plan on making sure everyone is where they need to be on time?  Or that everything is done?  Do you have a favorite system for planning?  I'll take any and all advice on this subject!

2 comments:

  1. Before I had a smart phone, I lived by my paper planner. It's a big honker, each week has two 8.5"x11" pages, and everything outside of my work schedule was on it. Everything. Even meal plans.

    However, I found an online calendar that is GREAT for families, though it is accessible from smart phones, you can access it (and your other family members) can access it from a computer and print it.

    It's called Cozi. I love that I can have different task lists, grocery lists, everyone's activities are in different colors on our calendar, and that both Steve and I can see it, and or edit any of it. Best of all, it's free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have that program Heather..LOL. I've just never used it to its fullest potential. I have the app for it too. Thanks for reminding me about Cozi though! I'm going to spend some time this weekend getting all the schedules under control and what not. Oh, and I even found out Cozi can link to my Outlook calendar (which is where everything is right now), that way I don't have to redo everything onto a new program...SWEET!!

    ReplyDelete