Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Transformation Tuesday

I wish I got this post up earlier, but let's face it, life happens.  If you read between the lines that actually says 'I was on the phone with Andrea for over and hour and while I'm terrific at most multitasking, talking on the phone and blogging isn't one.'

Anyway, Transformation Tuesday is about everything from weight loss to relaxation to changing the scenery in your house.  It's a pretty all encompassing title.  Today's post is about relaxation.

Over the weekend, Chuck and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary.  It was heavenly.  Truly.  It was amazing.  We have been long overdue for a weekend with just us.  Like 10 years overdue.

What we did wasn't exotic or anything like that.  First off, he surprised me with it, so I really had no say in the entire trip.  What we did was head down the road to Cincinnati.  We live in a northern suburb of the city and are down there often.  This time, it was different.  He had booked a weekend at the Westin in downtown.  Not only did he book a room there, but it overlooked Fountain Square.  I'm not above admitting that I did a flying leap onto the bed and sank right in.  I wanted to nap, but there were things to do.

The big event of the weekend was the Cincinnati Reds game.  Now, if you want to know one thing about me, it's that I'm a tried and true Reds fan.  Did you know that your 10 year anniversary is called your diamond anniversary?  I didn't.  Chuck did though.  According to him, he bought me the biggest diamond in the entire city.  The Reds ball diamond.  Cute huh?

I'm not trying to make this a recap of my great weekend.  It's all about relaxation.  Something that parents really don't get a whole lot of.  That's my experience at least.  Rarely do we get time to just hang out with our spouses or significant other.  That's what this weekend was about for Chuck and I.

Here's a couple of things I've thought about and helped make our relaxation weekend great.

  • We laughed.  A lot.

  • We took time to listen to each other.  No rushed conversations.  No interrupted conversations.

  • We took naps.  Several of them.  It was the best rest!

  • Do you remember what it's like to sleep in on a Saturday?  Until this weekend I had forgotten.  Having lunch at 11A.M. isn't so bad.

  • Neither is dinner after midnight.

  • It is possible to have a wonderfully affordable getaway close to home.

  • Um, the Reds won.  Enough said.

  • Spending time with the person you love in an environment that didn't require deadlines, schedules or anything like that can be the best thing to remind you how far you've come and what you have accomplished as a couple/family.  10 years ago we couldn't have done anything like this.  We spent half a day just remembering and laughing about how little we had when we first got married.  10 years ago if someone had told us we'd have 3 kids, a chaotically wonderful home and rarely get time together we'd have laughed at you and said "No way that's happening".  Today, we wouldn't change anything.  Well, maybe more time together just us, but nothing else.


How do you relax with your spouse or s/o?  Do you have getaway weekends or make time for one another every day?

Oh and PS.  I did get some real diamonds for our anniversary too.  In ring form.  :)

[caption id="attachment_6140" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="What a terrific weekend!"][/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment