Thursday, September 20, 2012

I need to learn how to receive a compliment

Do you know how to take a compliment?  I do not.  I don't know how to do lots of things and this is a big one.  Recently, Chuck has made it his personal mission (or at least it feels like that) to teach me how to receive a compliment.

For clarification, I can receive a compliment.  Especially if it's an occasion where I am dressed nicely.  I will smile and say thank you or compliment the person back accordingly.

I'm talking about the every day stuff.  Take earlier this week for instance.  I made a meatloaf for dinner.  That isn't something I typically make so I spent oodles of extra time making sure to get everything just right.  I sit dinner on the table and dish it out to the kids.  Within minutes they are all telling me how great it is.  Even CS, who is my picky eater, is eating it.  Chuck takes a bite and his eyes light up.  He looks at me and says it's one of the best things I've ever made.  What do I do?  I tell him that it's missing the gravy instead of thank you.  Yup, I dismiss the compliment.  I do this all the time.  It doesn't matter if it's about my cooking, parenting, looks, helpfulness, the list goes on.  I want to say thank you, but I also don't want to seem like an arrogant woman either.

The thing is, I'm not sure this is all that uncommon.  I hear, women in particular, dismiss compliments all the time.  It's like we're scared to just say thank you and go on.  When compliments are doled out we either dismiss them or feel the need to immediately return the compliment.  Do you have issues receiving a compliment or am I alone in this boat?

No comments:

Post a Comment