Monday, March 22, 2010

My garden is ready!



Yesterday, I was wondering what to do.  See, originally we were supposed to go to Ev and Paisley's birthday party.  Buuuttt, things have a way of changing.  A woke up saying her belly hurt and about 5 minutes later was spilling her guts all over the living room carpet.  Fun times..ugh!  She then ASK (which NEVER happens) if she could go back to bed.  I told her sure thing, and sent her on her way.  She wasn't running a fever, but has really bad seasonal allergies, so I'm thinking too much drainage overnight?  Long story short, she slept for about 5 hours and woke up feeling a lot better.  We still didn't go to the party.  I refuse to be the parent accused of bringing a sick kid somewhere and spreading germs around.  That left me with a dilemma.  What to do?  The smaller two wanted to go outside and play and I thought some fresh air may help A a little, so outside we went. 

Seeing as I'm not a person who can just "sit and do nothing" for very long, I started cleaning up the garden area.  Raking out the leftover leaves, pulling out roots from last year and tilling up the soil.  I will give credit where it is due and let you all know that I was reading email when I first went out and saw this post from Erin at $5 Dinners.  Thanks for the inspiration to work Erin!

So, this is what I'm working with for this year.  It's 4 1/2 ft. by 4 1/2 ft. area.  I'm hoping to yield a little more than last year.  Last year was the first garden I've planted since high school, so it was a trial and error type of deal. 



Oh, and I cleaned out the strawberry pot and found these buried underneath all the leaves I'd put on there last fall!



I also cleaned up some of my flower beds and saw that the daffodils are coming along nicely.  Many already have blooms!  I was thrilled! 



The crocus is doing well too.  More of them are showing up daily. 



The tulips all have their big leaves up, but no blooms or anything yet.  To be honest, I'll be excited if 1 blooms.  Sadly though, it looks as though my peonies won't be showing up this season :(  I transplanted them last year and had hoped they would pop up, but they didn't.  Unless something happens around their area soon I'm just going to scratch them out of the plans for this year.  Then cross my fingers for next year!

That's what I did this weekend!  Look out Lowe's.  We're heading your way this week for supplies for our new drainage ditch and seeds.  Wahoo!!!  Gardening has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment